The Race & Equity Committee has taken strides to increase diversity in the alternative dispute resolution field. The Committee’s focus is (1) to identify projects and programs that provide members of the section with opportunities to increase equity and access in the ADR field and to draw upon the talents, skill sets, and life experiences of all people working to resolve conflicts; (2) to support the creation of new opportunities; and (3) to encourage member and legal community participation in said initiatives.
The “Try Someone New” campaign is an example – a Diverse Mediator List that highlights the bios, practice areas, and contact information of certified mediators who are either racially or ethnically diverse or Spanish-speaking. The Committee, with the support of the Dispute Resolution Section, has also sponsored and subsidized mediation training for certification with scholarships for several neutrals of color.
Together, these efforts have created points of access for diverse talent, but there’s more work to do.
How You Can Help
• Please keep these resources in mind.
• If you have any opportunity to make a referral to a mediator, use the Diverse Mediator List as a go-to.
• Come to us with your own ideas for programs or initiatives.
• Mentor law students or others with an interest in the field.
• Respond to surveys or questionnaires to help us measure our impact.
• Join us! We welcome anyone interested in having conversations and taking action to change our community.